Well established wine farm in Tulbach seeks a motivated and competent Assistant Winemaker. This is a full-time permanent position. Excellent salary on offer subject to qualification and or experience. Tertiary qualification in winemaking is required. Need to be proficient in English and Afrikaans.
This is a key position within the winemaking department that is responsible for the day to day operation of production with an understanding of the influences of all processes in winemaking (from growing grapes to delivering the product to the customer). The Assistant Winemaker will be responsible for daily cellar operations and coordinating laboratory analysis, as well as performing daily record keeping. This position will be critical in the continued development of winemaking procedures, development of the cellar crew, and safe, efficient operations of the winery all while maintaining absolute standards in winemaking practices to ensure wine of the highest quality is produced.
This position will supervise a winemaking crew. The Assistant Winemaker will be responsible for training, assigning work orders, providing feedback and organizing appropriate lab work. They will work with the Director of Winemaking in preparing blends, trials, etc. managing all efforts toward ensuring the highest quality wine standards. This position will work with the Director of Winemaking in creating and implementing the winemaking schedules and forecasts. They will also work with the Production Office Manager to maintain proper inventories of dry goods and package materials. Additional duties include but are not limited to:
- Identify aromas and flavours in wines and recommend treatments to improve wine quality through batching and tasting of inventory.
- Ensure production plans and quality parameters are met in terms of bottling, lab analysis follow-up from daily wine work, blending and other cellar operations.
- Oversee cellar process management of grapes, juices and wines including chemical and ingredient additions, racks, transfers, clarification, blends, shipping and final preparation for bottling.
- Conduct fining trials, defect mitigation processes and general wine risk assessments.
- Provide input to long-term work plan when wine work variables pose a change in work plans. Work with the Director of Winemaking and Vineyard Manager to make harvest decisions for the grapes received, crushing, pressing and fermentation processes.
- Manage supplies and ingredients, including winemaking supplies.
- Other duties as assigned by Director of Winemaking.
- Bachelor’s Degree (A degree in a Science, Fermentation Science, or equivalent is a plus).
- At least 5 years of experience in winemaking or the production of other bottled beverages (juices).
- An understanding of and ability to run machinery such as HPLF, Centrifuge, Bottling Line and other production equipment.
- Experience and interest in management and development of winemaking team.
- Experience presenting information and responding to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers and the general public.
- Experience writing reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals.
- A valid driver’s license and the ability to be insured on company vehicles.
- Ability to use a PC with proficiency in Windows Outlook, Word, and Excel.
Applying for this position:
Only open to South African citizens.