The main purpose of this position is to assist in the management of the vineyards for the purpose of ensuring high quality grapes for the production of premium wines, aligned with the company’s visions as a world class wine producing property.
Key Performance Areas:
- Implements the work instructions as assigned by the Viticulturist and delegates work to the production team – ensures that production teams are complying with correct procedures and quality of work as it relates to pruning, tying, suckering, canopy manipulation, thinning, grape harvest etc. Conduct training on vineyard techniques as required.
- Supervises and directs the activities of the vineyard production team, co-ordinates optimal labour and machinery utilisation.
- Ensures that the relevant Health & Safety procedures are maintained and enforced.
- Administration functions namely the completion of payroll, orders, invoices, purchasing, general record keeping of vineyard activities and budget preparation
- Ensures that irrigation / fertilization programs and pest / weed control are performed according to technical specifications and as instructed by the Viticulturist.
- Assists with the management of the maintenance program of the tractor fleet and equipment.
Qualifications and Job Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree (BSc) in Enology, Viticulture / Higher certificate in Agriculture or Diploma in Agriculture: Viticulture / Equivalent Qualification
- At least 2 years’ experience in a quality grape growing agricultural environment in a junior management position
- Strong people management, leadership and communication skills
- Computer proficiency (Word, Excel or equivalent)