Swellendam Breede river front farm of 94ha for sale.
This farm offers beautiful views onto the mountains and river. It is zoned as a Agri /Tourism farm. It borders a successful guest farm on the one side and a successful citrus farm on the other side.
This property is not suitable for traditional farming as plowing is not allowed. Perma culture farming is an option. The land has not been disrupted for 10+ years and the Shale and Silcrete Ruens-Renosterveld have recovered very nicely
A town planner was appointed to bring an application to deviate from the municipality rules. The process is almost complete now for approval to build the following :
• 5 additional cottages that are 120 sq m each and 6.5 high.
• a main house of 400 m2 maximum)
• A 25 sq m farm stall that can ideally work at the front fence, there is a lot of traffic passing by on a daily basis to the Stonehill Lodge.
• The application also includes a 60sqm restaurant and facilities that will be developed in the current barn.
The application is therefore aimed at promoting tourism, which is in line with the Western Cape’s vision for development in this regard. The application is process and so far they are happy to say there was no objection. The title deed has been checked by an attorney and surveyor and there are no restrictions impeding the application.
Potential of the farm :
• Tourism within the constraints of the current zoning. ‘Retreat’ or ‘Healing Center’ has always been the current owners dream and for someone with the capital it would be an ideal piece of land.
• What can be planted and already tested and grow excellently: Pomegranates, figs, gooseberries, tomatoes, vegetables, quinces. Aloes grow naturally, aloe vera is sought after and the climate is perfect for it.
• Freshwater fishing industry.
• And of course a nursery with the Renosterbos.
Extra info; 3 boreholes have sunk, a fountain and the river. The shed’s roof holds the potential to absorb a mass of water if more gutters are installed. Water is therefore not a problem.
Swellendam normally receives about 462mm of rain per year, with rainfall occuring throughout the year. It receives the lowest rainfall (23mm) in December and the highest (48mm) in August. The monthly distribution of average daily maximum temperatures shows that the average midday temperatures for Swellendam range from 17.1°C in July to 27.5°C in January. The region is the coldest during July when the mercury drops to 5°C on average during the night.
River front farms on the Breede river hardly ever becomes available for sale, making this a rare opportunity to acquire one.