- Manage systems and structures according to production orders in co-operation with schedule planner for both bottle and bulk wine.
- Plan daily cellar processing at all sites with winemakers according to requirements for local and international orders.
- Manage daily resources which include the monthly management of overtime, shift planning and KPI reports.
- Ensure the 3 million litre cellar capacity is fully utilised by planning wine intake and stock
- Ensure wines are prepared according to client’s specifications for bottling and/or bulk loading including blending, fining/treating, stabilisation, final adjustments and tasting
- Ensures the agreed services for 3rd Party clients are within specifications for bottling and/or bulk loading including blending, fining/treating, stabilisation, final adjustments and tasting.
- Ensures correct operation of all cellar equipment (Cross flow filtration, Stabtar, etc).
- Ensures the tasting and signing off on bottle / bulk wines procedures are followed and signed off
- Ensures that all procedures are maintained and within QC standards.
- Manages and adheres to all quality and ethical standards within the cellar environment.
Utilisation of Resources
- Establish and maintain appropriate systems for measuring production/processing performance versus budget and implement measures to detect causes for abnormal losses and effect continuous improvement
- Establish work instructions/procedures and update these on a regular basis
- Plan and liaise with bottling department regarding production requirements
- Monitor, measure and report on production/processing plans and achievements
- Own the income statement and balance sheet for the cellar and manage/control expenditure within agreed budgets.
- Ensure completion of SAWIS documentation including WSR1’s, pink cards & other wine intake related documentation, incl. DA32’s.
- Ensure that SAGE is well implemented and managed according to the expectation of the
- Ensure daily wine movement is captured and kept for traceability (WineMS /SAGE).
- Ensure the completion of export documentation after each loading.
- Ensure all work instructions/cleaning records are kept for traceability.
- Ensure all wine analysis is kept for traceability.
- Check and authorise monthly invoicing of 3rd Party client’s services
- Establish and adhere to stock holding requirements
- Assume responsibility for cellar stock across all sites (accuracy, validity, and completeness of movements and accuracy of stock on hand balances). Manage physical stock counts (fortnightly).
- Reconcile stock on hand on site (Sage vs Wine MS vs actual).
- Effect stock counts on Sage (fortnightly) and stock counts for external sites on Sage (monthly).
- Ensure monitoring and receipting of bulk wine delivery requests.
- Enforce cellar procedures to ensure all valid stock movements are recorded in both Sage & WineMS, in a timely manner.
- Manage staff and cut-offs in preparation of stock counts to ensure timely and efficient counts.
- Investigate stock count variances and reports on final stock count variances and the value thereof (fortnightly)
- Investigate and determine appropriate course of action in the case of discrepancies identified in the normal course of business (e.g. when shortages are identified upon production tracking)
Quality Management Systems
- Ensure QMS standards and procedures are adhered to
- Follows QMS protocol as described by QMS procedures
- Ensure that all work instructions, operating procedures are current and complied with
- Ensure LIMS are utilized and updated as per the company procedure
- Maintain discipline and ensure adherence to company policy in regard to timekeeping, work performance and behaviour, quality standards, deadlines and operating procedures.
- Provide employees with guidance in handling difficult or complex problems and in resolving escalated complaints or disputes.
- Conduct performance appraisals and reviews and recruits staff when necessary.
- Identify training needs and arrange training to ensure optimal functioning of the cellar and achievements of targets. Contribute to the development of individuals.
Health, Safety and Housekeeping
- Ensure all safety policies and procedures are adhered to in the cellar areas
- Contribute to the on-going improvement of safety awareness and practises on the site by being an active member of the Safety Committee if required
- Ensure cellar processes are monitored and changes are initiated in accordance with the company’s Hygiene Management System and Procedures.
- Ensure housekeeping is kept in order and meets required standards as well as general maintenance and all areas of responsibility are clean and neat
- Work closely with the safety representatives to ensure adherence to safe work practices
- Grade 12 or equivalent
- Relevant qualification with production/planning or min 10yr’s experience in the industry
- Wine making/blending process knowledge
- Good management skills
- Good analytical ability and proper utilization of Excel tools
- Leadership and staff motivational skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Must show initiative, be target driven and self-motivated
- 10 years’ experience in a similar environment